Don’t sweat the small stuff. Really. Of all the times I’ve had to lose sleep in my life, I can only think of one time that it was worth it. Seriously. In uni if I stayed up the night before a test to read the two chapters that I hadn’t yet studied- it always happened that those chapters, or whatever material would not be relevant in the test the next day. So many small small things like that, but I can’t just keep calm, you can call me a “forcer”.
Now yesterday was Monday. I was supposed to be in court today so I needed a hairstyle that would not make it too difficult to wear my wig over it. A goddess braid or Celie twists would have been super cute solutions but your girl can’t cornrow or flat twist, and my brain wasn’t working too well, so I decided to do my go-to two-strand twists. Before the twists though, I had to wash my hair first. With small breaks, I was on this matter from 6pm till 1am.
Guess what. The judge could not make it this morning because she was stuck in traffic. I did not wear the wig. After washing I could have gone to sleep in chunky twists at 11pm and jejely worn a puff today. Never again should I put myself through this kind of struggle. The sufferhead I like to carry sometimes. And, cornrows and flat twists aren’t rocket science, I had better learn!
Normally, after a protective style, I make plans for a weekend, or 3 free days. Take hair down on Friday and pre-poo, wash on Saturday, style and dry on Sunday. This time, I was in a proper rush and as a result, I was not as gentle as I should have been. Ripped through some places, I was racing, just to finish. How is that for living life on the edge? ( ._.)
Here’s a quick run down of how that went:
1. I loosened my braids. First I cut them in a bob shape to see what that would be like. Not bad, but I’m thinking a longer bob may be it for me. I’m not sure.
I’m pretty sure though that I cut off some braids at the wrong points, losing some hair. 😦
2. After loosening the braids, I had mini-twists to take down too, thanks to the box braid method I used (see this post). I loosened those too, and as I did so- in sections of 8, 10 twists, I dry detangled with plenty coconut oil, and put my hair in chunky twists- about 10 in total.
3. I shampooed, Felicia’s way. I applied my shampoo (L’Oreal Ever Sleek Shampoo) directly to my scalp, before I wet my hair. I rubbed my scalp with my fingertips to lift the dirt, and I rinsed off with warm water.
4. Then, I applied my deep conditioner, the Nothing But Intense Healing Mask to my hair in four sections, and combed each section through. I wasn’t rough with the comb. Normally I’d use just my fingers, but I needed to move fast. I covered my hair with a shower cap and let it sit for 20 minutes, and rinsed with cool water. My hair wasn’t feeling as soft as it should have. I think this could be because I haven’t been deep conditioning every week. Because of the protective styles I’ve been wearing this year, Washday has been like once a month. I’ll need to step up the frequency or start using heat again, if I continue at this rate.
5. To save the day, I did an oil rinse with Hempseed Oil. This oil contains ceramides and it’s supposed to be really good for relaxed, or otherwise processed/damaged hair. I thought twice about “wasting” it (Ceramides patch frayed cuticles. They are best left-in, rinsing them away is a waste of their goodness) but it is the only oil on my shelf apart from coconut oil and my precious castor oil. I applied it to my wet hair, and 3 minutes later, rinsed off with warm and then cool water. Much better.
6. Finally. I moisturised and sealed with the Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream & the Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey.
7. I gave myself two hours to twist and made a run for it. I finished just in time. The result: slightly chubby twists. I expect them to get puffy at the roots and frizz even, but I’m hoping they last some days.
It’s a rainy afternoon in Lagos. Rainy season is here, and I’m contemplating protective styling again, this time a weave. Best weather for weaves, in my opinion- as long as you keep dry of course!
Still. I definitely need to learn how to do the flat twist thing, and find inspiration for more conservative natural hair styles on awkward length hair that would not require stretching first.
How are you today? How was your last Washday?
11 thoughts on “Washday: Rush Rush”
Please don’t give up o, because when you decide to care less that is when you would properly need whatever you should done. It’s annoying tho, btw your hair is beautiful and looks very healthy
Gorgeous hair dear, my wash day was good, style not so good, did not like ,so did a roller set instead 😀
That’s life. We can never always have time for what we want to do and things we rush for sometimes turn out not to be worth it. Nevertheless, you twists look really good despite the ‘Rush Rush’. 🙂
Last wash day came and went in a breeze, no time for long wash days this year. Your twists look good. What I would give to have high density hair.
Girl preach, reading the night before a test/exam has never been beneficial to me.
Your twists don’t look rushed at all AB.
As soon as I saw the bob I was sure some of your own hair had been cut too. Your hair is longer than you think
Lol i know the struggle of not being able to conrow…my hair is at an awkward length (shorter than yours) i keep protective styling in braids because i don’t know how to wear it to work.
Anyways, hopefully i learn one day…
All fhe best,
From an old Louisville classmate lol
My last washday was a rush as well and I wasn’t rushing anywhere oh, I just wanted to be done.
I skipped conditioning and went straight to DCing with Aphogee’s Balancing Moisturizer alone, no honey, no oil, nothing, big mistake.
I didn’t let my hair dry after moisturizing (LOC-ing) so my hair got so sticky the next day, uggh yuck eww lol.
That flat twists thing ehn, I get it sometimes, I don’t other times and no it’s not rocket science but seems that way sometimes sha.
I like your chubby twists!
Bob box braids on my mind but no time.
Oh my God! Cutting your braids to Bob can make you cut your hair… Lost a whole lot of my hair cos I was having fun. 😔😞
Wash day was today, and it’s definitely getting a whole lot easier. Your hair looks great btw
Thank you! Happy to hear it’s getting easier for you 🙂