In the last few months I’ve had some really good days with curly styles. I believe my technique hasn’t changed, so the real winner for me is my latest love, and styler of life, the SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse.
I actually got this because I was doing follow-follow. MeeMee reviewed it last year (here) and as I was curious to try something from SheaMoisture, I decided to get it too. I think it’s probably the least famous product in their Coconut & Hibiscus line. The Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a cult favourite & before MeeMee, I had never heard of this mousse.
What I Love About It
- It is easily absorbed and dries super fast.
- It is not sticky
- It gives me good definition
- It smooths my hair. I talked about this last year here. This part is a little hard to explain. It’s something I think you should experience. It claims to smooth hair on the label, but I didn’t pay attention to that. After my second use, the smoothness I felt in my strands. As if they had been polished? I don’t know the right word. It was a really good feeling, I did not know what the claim was supposed to mean before then.
- I don’t know about using it by itself as a leave-in, but I use it to style without leave-in conditioner & my hair remains soft. MeeMee uses it to moisturise her hair in kinky twists & I used it to moisturise my mini-twists yesterday so yeah, it’s good for this too- as a refresher.
How I Use
Y’all know wet styling is not my thing. I use this on damp hair or dry hair, with good results. To style, I use the mousse and a pomade. First it was Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade (finished now, sniff sniff) and then I switched to the Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey.
The last time I styled with mousse bae was in February. My hair was dry and stretched from a 4 day old blow-out/ updo. It felt pretty good still, but it had been 4 days since I had touched my hair, so I spritzed each section lightly with water, before applying the mousse & pomade (oil) combo. I counted- 86 perm rods in total.
The next morning, I took out the rods. My hair was completely dry.
It was my first proper attempt at a perm rod set, so there are two things I’d do differently next time:
- Stick to one technique. I don’t know if you can see this in the photos below, but I curled the hair in two different ways. One way gave me tighter spirals & the other way, the right way- gave me “barrel” or more cylindrical type spirals.
- Stick to the small rods because of my length. I used purple-pink rods through out the middle. (Are they purple, are they pink?) They are thicker than the slimmer light pink, white and grey rods I used for the rest of my head. The next morning, those parts done with the purple-pink rods were not at all defined & they fell apart too easily.
As you can see, I didn’t really bother to separate the curls. I was late & I had business to attend to. I went out, came back and my hair still looked this good!
My problem now is that I do not know how to preserve these styles. I try to pineapple my hair or pull it into a puff and I frizz the whole thing. I lie down to watch TV and by the time I get up, I’ve scattered it all. I managed to destroy my rod set before bedtime. The next morning Ash Wednesday, I had a textured puff:
I used the same combo to style a three-strand twist out on damp hair in January, and I had good results too.
No camera mojo that day, but here’s that twist out:
Compare these results to my 3 strand twist out from last year, with a hair butter. Another poor overly edited photo but hey, I hope you can see the difference:
Note that my January twist out was still recognizable at the end of the day, when I got home. A reminder of how my previous 3 strand twist out looked hours later:
I’m really happy with this mousse. I’m almost done with my first bottle, soon I’ll be on to the next.
I think I’ve found MY styler. Sure, I’m open to trying out others in the future, but I have my staple now, something I know I can rely on. As I say with every review, everything cannot work for everybody so if you try this and your hair isn’t so impressed, please don’t come for me! LOL
Where to Find
If you’re willing to try this mousse though, we have some in our blog shop here– yes, don’t forget we have one! Thank you for the support so far 🙂
Have you tried this mousse? Have you found your Holy Grail styler yet? Do share!