Today I’m reviewing a product you’ve most likely seen before (if you live in Nigeria, that is). Organics Hair Mayonnaise isn’t hard to find. I got a tub in January at Enumex Cosmetics here in Calabar, for 800 naira.
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-32, Lanolin Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Olea Europeaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Parfum (Fragrance), Dimethicone PEG-8 Laureate, Origanum Vulgare (Oregano) Leaf, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot)Seed Oil, Cholesterol, Soluble Collagen, Tocopherol, Ovum (Egg Powder), Panthenol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 42090 (Blue 1), CI 16035 (Red 40), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Equisetum Hiemale (Horsetail) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract.
- Water is the first ingredient.
- The alcohols on the list are the good kind. They are fatty, non-drying alcohols.
- This DC has humectants, Glycerin and Panthenol, they help moisturise.
- The protein in this is way down the list, so if you’re in need of a stronger protein treatment, I think you’d have to beef this up a little, add more to it.
- Mineral oil is listed as the third ingredient. The first five ingredients are deal breakers for me when I’m reading a product label. I don’t think I’d have ever put this product anywhere near my hair if not for the fact that my hair was steamed with this at a natural hair salon last year.
This isn’t to say that you should let anyone put anything in your hair at a salon, even a so-called natural hair salon, definitely not. I saw it with my side-eye, I was aware it had mineral oil but my hair was being absolutely frustrating. I DESPERATELY NEEDED someone to Olivia Pope my fro so I took a risk and let them do their thing. And I didn’t die.
That day my hair was actually behaving like iron sponge. It was so bad that the lady that did my hair gave me a mini moisturise & seal lecture on my way out lol there was really no point saying “I know.”
Now, after my hair was steamed with this DC, I can say it was the equivalent of a battery pull for me that day. I never hesperred it. I mean, mineral oil? One of the big bad guys is heavy in this mix and my hair liked it? Wow.
So in January before my Nothing But Intense Healing Mask arrived, I got myself a tub, which has since finished.
First, What My Hair Is Like:
My hair is super kinky, tightly coiled 4c hair. My strands are super fine (very thin), but together, they are quite dense. For about a year now, my hair has been responding well to products. On average, I need to moisturise with a leave-in conditioner once or twice a week.
- Good slip for detangling
- I don’t like the smell though.
- Hair feels soft and well conditioned after use
- 15 oz (426g) for 800naira! ($5)
- I think the Intense Healing Mask is definitely a better DC, but this works, guys!
- Still, I can’t lie. It’s good to know that I have something cheap and easily accessible that works
- BUT I deep condition every week when my hair is out. I’m concerned about build-up, and I’m not comfortable having mineral oil in my hair especially right after I’ve cleansed/clarified. So if (unlike me) you prefer to Deep condition before you shampoo, I don’t think you need to worry about this particular point.
I had this review on my mind for a while but I was a little reluctant putting this out, because of the mineral oil in this. Mineral oil has a bad name in natural hair care and it’s actually hard to defend it. A very bad experience with mineral oil (on my skin) was one of the things that made me very passionate about knowing what I’m putting in my hair and in my body, but that’s a story for another day. 🙂
I was inspired by an email from my new friend, Alberta (who also happens to be my birthday mate ^_^), she likes a product with mineral oil, and was feeling a little guilty about it lol. After talking with her, I decided I’d go on to share anyway. No need to police myself, after all, I promised to share the good, the bad, the embarrassing and the absolutely confusing. 🙂
*Katy Perry voice* My hair kissed something with mineral oil and she liked it!! ( ._.) I’m still wary of mineral oil sha. Maybe we’ll address this soon.
My roommate uses this on a more regular basis. Organics Hair Mayonnaise can also be used for co-washing and as a leave-in. She doesn’t think it’s all that sha. Regular use of this DC (with no heat) since her big chop hasn’t resulted in noticeably softer hair.
Have you tried this deep conditioner? Are there any products you like that have mineral oil in them? Where do you stand?